Thursday 20 September 2012

Mustard Tree and World Vision

One of my challenges is to do some voluntary work. I thought it would be easy enough to do but when I started thinking about it a bit more I had a bit of a problem. There are so many good causes out there, how would I decide which one I wanted to help?

I decided it would probably be best if I chose somewhere close to home, that way I can spend more time volunteering and actually doing some good and less time travelling. I pass a place called Mustard Tree most days.I've heard good things about them so I decided to find out a bit more about what they did. I had a look on their website and was pretty impressed. They seemed to do lots of good stuff and help a wide mix of people. It also looked like there would be quite a lot I could get involved with. I've sent them an email and hopefully I'll hear something back soon.

 
 
I also really wanted to get more involved with World Vision.  I have recently sponsored Princess, a seven year old girl from Sierra Leone, through their website. Since deciding to sponsor Princess, I have been following their blog and facebook page. The more stuff I read, the more impressed I've been with the work they are doing and the more glad I am that I decided to sponsor a child. Every time I go onto their website I see another little face looking out at me and I wish I could sponsor them all. Unfortunately I can't afford that but I decided to find out how else I could help. They have sent me details of their ambassador scheme. It sounds really interesting but it's quite a big commitment. I still think I'd like to give it a go though, just need to work out if any of there training sessions are when I'd actually be able to get to them.
 
In the meantime I'm getting myself involved in spreading the word of the work they do and helping out with their campaigns. Campaigns like the Child Health Now campaign which wants to give all children the chance to grow up, live out their dreams and fulfil their potential.
 

 
I'm currently collecting signatures for World Vision's petition asking the government to scale up work to tackle under-nutrition, to give more children a better chance to live life and a chance to grow and learn. If you're local to me, make sure you see me and sign it. If you're further away, you can still sign - just get in touch with your address and email and I can add you to the sheet, it doesn't need an actual signature. Hope you'll all help me in supporting this.

No comments:

Post a Comment