Friday 28 September 2012

Gone Running

If you know us both, you're probably thinking you've clicked onto Dan's blog by mistake. But no, it's me and I really have been running!

I had my stitches out of my knee this morning. I'd got myself into a bit of a tizz about it as I'm completely soft when it comes to anything to do with doctors or hospitals. I'd convinced myself that it would hurt and there'd be blood (I don't do blood!) but it was fine. Stung a little bit but there was nothing to it really.

I asked the nurse about doing some exercise now they've come out as I've basically done nothing for three months and am starting to feel like a blob. She made me do a few knee bends, walk up and down a bit and then she said I can do whatever I want as long as I listen to my body and don't push it too much.

I've got loads of fitness challenges on my list but I knew straight away which one I wanted to start with - running! A few months back the idea of running didn't appeal at all but I've been motivated by Dan. He started running at the end of May and he loves it. He'd never run before but this month he's managed to do three 10k runs to raise money for Leukaemia Research. He's raised over £350 so far and I'm very proud of him - theres still time to donate here.

As well as the fundraising Dan has really enjoyed the running and it's been great for him. He's lost loads of weight and still manages to eat loads. I've got to admit my running bug is more to do with greed than thinking it's gonna be fun. The amount of calories you can burn running is crazy! I love my food so anything that means I can eat more is a bonus.

I'm not stupid so I know theres no way I could just go out and do a 10k run, I'd struggle with a 1k one to be honest but thats where C25K comes in. NHS Choices 'Couch to 5K' is a running plan developed to help absolute beginners get into running. It's a 9 week training plan and by the end of the nine weeks I should be able to run 5k or 30 minutes without stopping. The aim for me is to join Dan on the christmas parkrun.

I downloaded week one podcast from the NHS website this afternoon and went out with Dan this evening. It looked easy on paper 5 minute brisk walk followed by 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking for 20 minutes then finishing with a 5 minute cool down walk. Doesn't sound like much at all but 60 second is a lot longer than you think when you're not used to running. I made it through the whole half hour though, even if I was a panting sweaty mess by the end of it! I'm proud of myself for making the first step and it's only gonna get easier the more I do it. Rest day tomorrow then I'm back to it Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Jan, Fair play to you especially o sooon after your op. Good luck with the next run. Well done to Dan for all he's raised so far too.

    ReplyDelete