Tuesday 4 September 2012

Meet Princess

Sponsoring a child is one of those things I've always thought about doing but never quite got round to. I suppose in the past I couldn't really afford it but while I'm not exactly rolling in it now, I am comfortable so I decided it was time I stopped thinking about it and started doing it.

So I received my sponsorship pack in the post this morning. I've chosen to sponsor a little girl called Princess through World Vision. She's seven years old and lives in Tegloma, Sierra Leone.

Sierra Leone is the second poorest country in the world and Tegloma is the poorest area of the country. Two out of three families have unsafe drinking water, 95% of the population have no sanitary latrines, one in three children die before their fifth birthday. The entire area has just one hospital, two nursery schools and one secondary school for a population of 140,000.

World Vision have a 15 year long programme in the area focusing on providing safe drinking water, improving nutrition and sanitation and increasing access to health services. I'm hoping that the money I send every month will help not just Princess but many people in her community.


I chose to sponsor through World Vision for a couple of reasons. Mainly because it's a well known child sponsorship charity. It's been around for a long time and you can find lots of information about their work really making a difference. The other thing I liked was that they really gave me the opportunity to get to know the child I chose to sponsor. They sent me lots of information in my welcome pack this morning and I'll receive regular updates from World Vision about the work they are doing in Tegloma. I'm also able to write to Princess. Anybody who knows me well will know that I enjoy writing letters so I am looking forward to hearing from her and getting to know more about her life. I've been sent a little card to fill in to introduce myself so I'm going to get that sent off tomorrow and then I'll write a proper letter in a few days. I'm really excited about becoming a child sponsor and can't wait tto find out more.

2 comments: