Tuesday 25 September 2012

Movie Marathon

Well maybe it wasn't a marathon. And I don't like the word movie, it's all american and I don't know what's wrong with a good old fashioned film but I have crossed another challenge of the list by seeing two films at the cinema in one day.

It's been another horrible rainy day in Manchester so an ideal day to spend 6 hours sat inside in the dark. We started with dinner at Nandos - not part of any challenge but always nice! I decided to make that part of a challenge too by leaving another operation beautiful note there.
 
 
After doing Nando's in style with a whole three courses and my favourite waitress anywhere ever it was a mad dash to the cinema. Luckily its only over the car park but we still got soaked and I managed to sink in a puddle. We've got unlimited passes for the cinema so the plan was to just turn up and see what was on that we fancied seeing.


Film number one was Killing Them Softly. I knew nothing about it other than it had Brad Pitt in it. That's usually enough to keep my interest but it was a really good film too. It's all about a professional enforcer, Jackie Cogan (Pitt), who investigates a heist that occurs during a high stakes, mob-protected, poker game. I love a good gangster movie so it was right up my street and bits of it were pretty funny too. Apparently it's based on a book called Cogan's Trade by George V Higgins so I might have to check that out.

 
 
Film number two was Anna Karenina. I knew nothing about it really but I wanted to see it because I'd done a survey about it a few months back and I liked the snow and the dresses! Knew it was a famous book but had no idea what it was about. I enjoyed it though, was a good story although some of how they'd presented i confused me a bit. I couldn't understand why they kept ending up on a stage, maybe I'm missing something (probably am!) but to me it just seemed weird. Didn't ruin the film for me though. Poor Dan hated it! I didn't think it would be his thing really and he was bored from about 5 minutes in. He made himself very comfy sprawled out in the cinema and at one point I thought he might go to sleep but to be fair he didn't moan once.
 


3 comments:

  1. I think I did nod off a one point! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My colleague Margaret found your note in Nandos on her lunch break and you made her day :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was her that found it! She was our waitress and we loved her. She recommended great puddings :-)

      Delete